Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
With the arrival of March, we know that the first day of spring is not far behind! MCCN Spring Break for most faculty and students is now behind us, and I welcome you back, hoping that you had an enjoyable respite and are ready to jump back into the excitement of your academic journey!
As promised, my goal is to keep you informed of happenings and plans along the way:
- MCCN hosted the Ohio Board of Nursing’s tri-annual visit on February 22 and 23, and the visit included an open session with students and one with faculty. Feedback from the surveyor was that we have highly motivated and enthusiastic nursing students in our program who will add value to the nursing profession. She also commented that faculty were proud of MCCN and committed to making the Student Experience productive and positive. THANKS to Ann Waterman, PhD, RN, interim academic dean, for leading the planning and preparation of the pre-survey documents, organizing the site visit and serving as the official lead host throughout the two-day visit. Scott Dolan, PhD, RN, assistant dean, Undergraduate Programs; Cora Arledge, MS, BSEd, RN, instructor and program coordinator; and Kathy McLain, MS, RN, assistant dean and coordinator, SDAP, were also part of the official welcome team. THANKS to one and all who made the visit successful. The official report will be sent in 20 business days from the visit.
- Our journey to transformation is well underway with the Steering Committee involved in the work of creating a comprehensive Strategic Plan – with March and April set aside for Defining Vision and Strategic Direction. To keep you informed, we’ve established a page on our website where updates will be posted: www.mccn.edu/about/strategic-planning. I know that you are as excited about the process as I am. Please let me know if you have any questions – or suggestions.
- We’re equally excited about physical enhancements in store for our Franklinton campus, despite a few inconveniences for some during the preparatory stage. But this is evidence of the transformation that is already underway: Last week the basement of the CLE was closed to accommodate the round-the-clock utilities work to ensure the College experiences no downtime during Mount Carmel West’s move to Mount Carmel Grove City in November. Many thanks are extended to the faculty and staff who had to relocate from their CLE basement offices during the entire week.
- The national search for a new president for MCCN is also underway, with the first slate of candidates having been presented to the Presidential Search Committee. The next step is to invite selected candidates in for initial interviews. The hope is to have a new president in place for the 2018-19 academic year.
- In addition, the search for a permanent academic dean has also been started with the same goal of recruiting and hiring by the beginning of the 2018-2019 academic year.
- I have asked all faculty and staff to start each class and meeting with a “reflection” and hope you will want to participate in this process. Sharing “a serious thought or consideration before we start the work” gives everybody time to pause and re-energize themselves for what is next. Please volunteer to offer a reflection and give yourself a chance to open your minds and hearts to new insights and ideas.
And, congratulations are in order:
- First, congratulations to the graduates of SDAP XI who have now joined the ranks of our esteemed alumni.
- Congratulations to members of SDAP XII, who received their sophomore pins.
- Second, check out this link to view the many accomplishments, achievements and presentations of our faculty and staff.
- Third, congratulations to the Offices of College Relations, Fund Development and Alumni Relations for national recognition of their excellent work on The Lamp, which received silver in the Educational Advertising Awards competition and bronze in Collegiate Advertising Awards. GREAT JOB!
As always, I wish you continued success at Mount Carmel College of Nursing! Stop by our office and say hi and tell us how you like our new look!
Ann Marie T. Brooks, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN, FACHE, FNAP
Interim President, Mount Carmel College of Nursing